The lymphatic system like the cardio-vascular system circulates fluid throughout the body. However, the lymphatic system is not a circular system with a central pump to aid the system and therefore is dependent on muscle movement.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage (MLD) is a gentle type of massage which is intended to stimulate circulation and encourage natural lymph fluid drainage by freeing the flow of the fluid around the body. The lymph carries waste products away from the tissues back towards the heart and any excess fluid leaves the body via the kidneys.
The massage movements are much more specific tending to involve rhythmic circular, a pumping action on the tissues and are at a gentler pressure. This pressure helps the body move excess water, toxins and metabolic waste from the tissue. As a result the body is cleansed to enhance the immune system.
- Ensures the lymph fluid is kept flowing though the vessels reducing excess fluid surrounding muscle tissues and joints.
- Increases the flow of lymph fluid to and from the lymph nodes which in turn boosts the immune system to promote healing and fight infection.
- Stimulates lymph production which leads to rapid rate of drainage from tissues and helps the body to detoxify itself much more effectively.
- Helps to reduce skin conditions such as Acne and Eczema by reducing inflammation and stimulating the natural process to heal the skin.
- Tissue regeneration is also stimulated and helps to clear the skin
- Metabolic waste and water is removed which in turn reduces Cellulite
- Allergies/ inflammation
- Improves skin elasticity
- Reduces primary and secondary lymph-oedema
- Broken capillaries look less obvious
- Reduces pain such as migraine as relaxation is induced
- Pre-menstrual – Relieving swelling and helps reduce fluid retention
- Recommended for people who are recovering from infections or (and) have low immune system.
- Improves the environment of the antibody and in turn boosts the individual’s resistance to infection
- Detoxifying programme
- Balances the nervous system helping the individual to become mentally and physically calmer.
After a 15 minutes consultation assessing your needs and treatment you will lay down on a massage table ready to receive your treatment.
- My touch will be very light rhythmic pumping touch (just enough pressure to stretch the skin).
- I will concentrate on several key areas of your lymphatic system: face neck, armpits, abdomen, hips, knees and ankle. Organs such as the liver and kidneys, lungs and digestive track will also be addressed in addition to any areas of complaint.
- You may experience sensations on the table as lymph fluids begin to move (tingling, coolness in fingers and toes, digestive noises).
Every person will respond to Lymph Drainage Therapy differently as some people may already be experiencing symptoms such as fatigue, cold/flu symptoms etc prior receiving this work! Changes can occur immediately and sometimes up to seven days after treatment.